Man Bitten by Pet Snake in Critical Condition
February 01, 2011
A New Jersey man is in critical condition after being bitten by his pet snake, according to animal control officials.
The 25-year-old man purchased the albino monocled cobra, along with a diamondback rattlesnake and a copperhead snake, in Pennsylvania on Monday, believing that the snakes had been altered to have their venom sacks removed.
The cobra bit him on Monday evening, and his wife called 911 shortly after, when he began to experience respiratory difficulties.
All three snakes were removed from the man's home that night by animal control officers. They are temporarily in the custody of a local pound until fish and wildlife officials take them away.
The man is fortunate to be alive, according to an animal control officer, who said that cobra bites are most often fatal.